Posted by: irene | 2012/08/17



9 yr old with Lazy Eye. My 9 year old daughter has been diagnised with Lazy Eye.I took her to the Optometrist and she prescribed spectacles with a thick lense,i then decided to see an Opthalmologist who told me the eye is severely damaged and nothing can be done about it,she just has to live with the condition. I find it hard to accept and i feel that i need another opinion.What can be done to correct my daughter''s eye and which Doctors in South Africa can you suggest we consult?Thanks

Expert's Reply



I am sure that you have read a lot about this condition already. Lazy eye is quite common in children. Much can usually be done to treat this condition such as using a patch over the good eye for a while. There are other methods of treating lazy eye as well depending on the cause. Your daughter should be seen by a paediatric ophthalmologist. There are experts in all the main centres in SA. There is an excellent eye clinic at the Red Cross Children's Hospital in Cape Town for example.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.