Posted by: Exhausted | 2009/02/12


5 months

Dear Paed, my son will be 5 months on Monday, I am struggling to get him to drink his bottles, he constantly fights to finish them, he is on 180 ml bottles. He doesn' t feel all content like a baby should when drinking them. He has a lot of flatulence and is quite chesty after his bottles. I have had him at the paed, and we tried soya milk, which he wouldn' t take at all, then went back to Lactogen1. Yesterday I took him for his injections and the clinic sister suggested we try NAN LF, it has definitely made a difference with his chest, he wasn' t wheasing at all today, but he just doesn' t want to finish his bottles, if he had 400 mls today its alot, he is not a small boy either, he weighs 9 kg and measures 68cm and growing well. I am concerned about his milk intake as our Paed does not want him on solids just yet. He is generally very restless and hardly sleeps during the day. I just don' t know anymore, I am in two minds on taking him back to his paed, because he doesn' t appear sick at all. I asked the sister to check if it might be teething but she said its not. I' m sorry if this is not making any sense, but I am exhausted and just don' t know anymore. I have just put him to bed, he quite happily drifted off with 20mls in his tummy....

Expert's Reply



The starting point here which should reassure you is that your baby's weight is well above the average for his age. This means that he must be getting sufficient nutrition otherwise he would not gain weight and grow as well as he is. He seems to be allergic to milk rather than having lactose intolerance as he wheezes when on a cow's milk formula. NAN LF is not ideal. You can try NAN HA and see if he is better on this formula. It is a formula for only mildly allergic babies and may not be ideal for him, but give it a try. You can start him on a rice cereal now which does not contain milk such as the Purity Rice cereal.Please let me know how he gets on.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.