Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Peta | 2011/02/15


2 1/2 year old - how much liquid is enough?

Hello Dr
I have come to you in the past for advice and you have been most helpful - my child was tube weaned in Oct last year and l am looking for some more advice here....

He now weighs 11.8kg and 84cm, having only put on 100gm and not having grown in height since Nov last year. Is he very tiny and should l be concerned?

Also, l am very worried about his lack of drinking. He was admitted over the weekend for dehydration and put back on a drop of 40ml per hour and the little monster munch still didnt drink. We were discharged yesterday morning and told to give our paed a call if he needs to be rehydrataed again. sigh.

It is now Tuesday 2.30pm and l havent changed one wee nappy today yet. He has had a whopping 50ml to drink today - that''s it. I have tried ice cream, jelly, water, ice, sloppy cereal - you name it....

I am at my wits end and dont know what to do. How much fluid does he need to take in before l can start stressing that he is not having enough fluids? I dont want to call my paed for nonsense but l really dont know how much he should be taking in. Look, he was never a big drinker but at least when l have the feeding peg l could get liquids in him now....l got maybe 200ml max yest including some of it via a drip and today we are at 50ml.

I am at my wits end and l dont know what to try - do you have ANY advice for me?

Thank you Dr, much appreciated.

A very worried mom who is sitting in 33''C heat with a child that just wont drink...or eat today....


Expert's Reply



You really are having a difficult time.The average weight for a boy of 2 and a half is 13.3kg. Your son's weight is on the 10th percentile line of the children's growth chart;the lowest 10% for boys of his age.I don't have to tell you that he should be drinking much more than he does.Your son needs at least 1litre plus 50ml for every kilogram he weighs above 10 kg. This means that he needs 1000ml+ 50ml +40ml [for the .8kg]=1090ml per day.The only advice I can give you is to contact the gastroenterologist who saw your son originally so that a decision can be taken about helping your son.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Candi | 2011/02/15

Hey Peta!
Girl, my thoughs are always with you! I wish i had some
advice to give! We have missed you on the other page!
thinking of you and the mannie!

Reply to Candi

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.