Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Mes | 2009/06/07


1 year old with severe allergies

Hi There,
I hope you can give me some advice. My son is 1 years old, and was bron at 32 weeks. He suffers from severe allaergies - so far we have identified dairy, gluten, soya, nuts and seeds, fish, eggs, fruit juice and lectin intolerance. He does not appear to have any air borne allergies. His last allergy count was 39.8, and this while he has been on anti-histamines for 5 weeks. He has chronic asthma, and take inflamide morning and evening through a spacer. He has been continually ill now for three months, with two bouts of pnuemonia, and several cases of bronchitis and bronchiolitus. He is fine during the day, but come night he coughs, vomits (a lots and projectile), and after the vomiting shakes as though he is freezing. Sometimes he has a fever but usually not. He wakes up anything from 5 times a night (a good night) to 40 times a night. He is currently on pediasure in his bottles, and tea during the day. He doesn' t want to eat or drink though. He is 70cm long and weighs 8.03kg. When we last saw our dr he did not want to give him anything to sedate him as he was concerned his lungs are not strong enough. I am concerned as he also has high muscle tone, and is fairly delayed in gross motor and fine motor milestones, and i think this is being impacted on by his health. Do you have any suggestions or directions we can look in.

Many thanks

Expert's Reply



What you need first and foremost here is a proper diagnosis. It does not sound as if your son has asthma. He has the symptoms of whooping cough now and this has been going on for almost 3 months. The old name for whooping cough was 'The hundred day cough' so this is perfectly possible. This kind of cough is difficult to stop, but it is worthwhile trying Aterax syrup 2.5ml at night.Your son must be seen and treated by a paediatric allergist or pulmonologist. If you let me know in which region you live I will recommend an expert in your area.Once he is well again his development should catch up.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Mes | 2009/06/08

Thank you. We are in East London. My son is under a pead and GP, just looking for some extra advice. PLease do recommend someone. Much appreciated.

Reply to Mes

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.