Posted by: Pierre Maritz | 2019/09/18


Seafood allergy

My daughter are 22jr now and are very allergic to fish or were, when small i handed her the fish finger box to put in the trolley and she reacted severely that she had to get injection, had no fish since then. Are there any way to test if she is still as allergic. What to go on holiday to the east and could be a problem as fish are eaten allot there, not sure if same oil are used for every thing

Expert's Reply


Allergy expert
- 2019/09/26

Seafood and fish allergies can be easily tested on a blood test. Your GP should ask the local pathology lab (Pathcare, Ampath or Lancet) to do a Seafood RAST test on a blood sample and then if positive they can test for allergy to the individual fish, and shellfish and clarify the situation. If your daughter is still very allergic to cod fish (as in fish fingers), it is advisable to take an Epipen Adrenaline auto-injector on your travels and learn the local translation for "seafood" to advise any food vendors that she has fish anaphylaxis.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.