Sports Injuries

Rugby injuries

Rugby is notorious for causing injury to players. Common injuries include sprains and strains, dislocations, concussion, tendonitis and injuries to the knee, groin and hamstring. Learn more about prevention, treatment and recovery for common rugby injuries here.

Will tackling be banned at schoolboy rugby level?

There was an uproar recently when 73 health experts submitted an open letter to government ministers in the UK calling for tackling at schoolboy rugby level to be outlawed in order to reduce the chance of injury to children.

Osteitis pubis in rugby

Rugby players can suffer this injury from the cumulative effect of the shearing movement involved in kicking the ball.

Achilles tendonitis in rugby

Achilles tendonitis can be triggered by various factors, including rapidly increasing running distance and starting too quickly after a break from exercise.

New rugby scrum technique may be safer

A new, safer scrum technique reduces the distance between the opposing front row players, and hence lowers the speeds and forces involved at the 'engagement'.

Calf muscle strain in rugby

An acute strain is caused by trauma or an injury such as a blow to the muscle or overstressing the calf muscle. Chronic strains are usually the result of overuse - prolonged, repetitive movement of the muscles.

This rugby player wanted to die...

A former rugby player shares his darkest moment with Health24 after a spine chilling life-changing event that brought with it insufferable pain he could not put into words.

load more

Ask the Expert

Sports Injuries Expert

Adrian Rotunno is a medical doctor in the Sports & Exercise Medicine fellowship at the Sports Science Institute of South Africa, and qualified physiotherapist. Team physician for Dimension Data pro-cycling, and Boland Rugby. Special interests include endurance sport, in particular cycling, as well as contact sports.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules