Sleep Disorders

03 April 2007

Sleep may up testosterone

The amount of sleep older men get can affect their testosterone levels, according to a University of Chicago study.

The amount of sleep older men get can affect their testosterone levels, according to a University of Chicago study.

Researchers monitored the amount of nighttime sleep for 12 healthy men, ages 64 to 74, and then measured their morning testosterone levels.

The study found that the amount of sleep was an independent predictor of the men's total and free testosterone levels in the morning.

Less sleep, less testosterone
"The results of the study raise the possibility that older men who obtain less actual sleep during the night have lower blood testosterone levels in the morning," study author Dr Plamen Penev said in a prepared statement.

"Although the findings suggest that how long a person sleeps may be an indicator of age-related changes in important hormone signals in the body, future studies are needed to determine the importance of these relationships for the health of older adults," Penev said.

The study was published in the April 1 issue of the journal Sleep.

Previous studies have linked lack of sleep with increased risk of serious health problems such as depression, obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. – (HealthDayNews)

Read more:
Sleep Centre
Testosterone, dementia link

April 2007


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Sleep disorders expert

Dr Alison Bentley is a general practitioner who has consulted in sleep medicine and sleep disorders, in both adults and children of all ages, for almost 30 years. She also researches and publishes on a number of sleep-related topics both in formal research journals and lay publications including as editor of Sleep Matters, an educational newsletter on sleep disorders for doctors.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules