07 May 2008

Brittle bones link to heart disease

Researchers say the likelihood that chest pain is due to obstructed coronary arteries is greater for those with low bone mineral density (BMD) than those with normal BMD.

Among people checked out because of chest pain, the likelihood that the pain is due to obstructed coronary arteries is greater for those with low bone mineral density (BMD) than those with normal BMD, researcher report.

Dr Wilbert S. Aronow and colleagues from New York Medical College, Valhalla, studied data on 198 patients who had bone scans within six months of having their coronary arteries checked for blockages.

Of the 198 subjects, 53 had the brittle bone disease osteoporosis, 79 had a less severe condition called osteopenia, and 66 had normal BMD.

Overall, 40 patients (76 percent) with osteoporosis, 54 (68 percent) with osteopenia, and 31 (47 percent) with normal BMD had obstructive coronary artery disease, the researchers report in the American Journal of Cardiology.

They say the reason for this association is unclear. However, they observed that more patients with normal BMD than those with osteoporosis or osteopenia were taking a statin drug.

"On the basis of the available data, patients with osteoporosis or osteopenia should have intensive treatment of modifiable risk factors for coronary artery disease," Aronow and his colleagues conclude. "This therapy should include strong consideration of the use of statins." – (Reuters Health, May 2008)


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Healthy Bones

Tereza is the CEO of the National Osteoporosis Foundation and worked as a Nursing Sister in the field of Osteoporosis for 18 years prior to her appointment with the Foundation. She used to be the Educational Officer for the Foundation and co-wrote the patient brochure on Osteoporosis. Read more

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules