Updated 31 January 2018

US woman awarded billions in transvaginal mesh case

A US woman was awarded $100 million to be paid by a medical device manufacturer because of complications resulting from transvaginal mesh.

A jury has ordered a medical device manufacturer to pay $100 million (R1.2 billion) to a woman who, despite two surgeries, still has pieces of transvaginal mesh embedded inside her.

Woman awarded damages

The News Journal of Wilmington reports the 51-year-old Newark woman was awarded damages last week following a two-week trial in the Superior Court in Wilmington against Boston Scientific.

Court documents say the woman had transvaginal mesh inserts, a net-like product used to treat incontinence and sagging pelvic organs in women, implanted in May 2009.

Read: What is incontinence?

Since then, she has had complications, including urinary tract infections and pain during sex.

The jury found Boston Scientific failed to warn doctors and patients of the risk of the poorly designed inserts.

Significant resources ensure product safety

Boston Scientific spokeswoman Kelly Leadem says the company dedicates significant resources to ensure products are safe.

Read More:

6 everyday things to avoid if you have urge incontinence

Incontinence takes its toll on younger women

Female triathletes at risk of incontinence

Image: Woman with genital pain from Shutterstock


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Incontinence Expert

Dr Prenevin Govender completed his MBChB at the University of Cape Town in 2001. He obtained his Fellowship of the College of Urologists in 2009 and graduated with distinction for a Masters in Medicine from the University of Cape Town in 2010. His special interests include laparoscopic, pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence surgery. He consults full-time at Life Kingsbury Hospital in Claremont.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules