23 December 2015

Uptravi approved for chronic lung disease

The drug Uptravi has been approved to treat adults with a disabling lung disease called pulmonary arterial hypertension.

Uptravi (selexipag) has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat adults with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), a disabling lung disease that often leads to death or the need for lung transplant.

PAH is high blood pressure that affects arteries that connect the lungs and heart. It causes the heart to work harder, resulting in shortness of breath and limiting the ability to exercise, the FDA said Tuesday in a news release.

Read: "Get me to 21" girl Jenna Lowe has died from pulmonary arterial hypertension

Uptravi, among a class of drugs called oral IP prostacyclin receptor agonists, relaxes and opens blood vessels, easing the elevated pressure, the agency said.

The drug was evaluated in clinical trials involving more than 1,150 adults with PAH. Trial participants who took the drug did so for an average of about a year and a half. The drug was found to limit worsening of the disease and reduce the need for hospitalization.

Uptravi's most common side effects included headache, diarrhea, jaw pain, nausea, muscle pain, vomiting, pain in the arms and legs, and flushing.

The drug is marketed by San Francisco-based Actelion Pharmaceuticals.

Also read:

Short people less likely to get lung transplants

Lung function test

Singing helps lung patients


Ask the Expert

Hypertension expert

Dr Jacomien de Villiers qualified as a specialist physician at the University of Pretoria in 1995. She worked at various clinics at the Department of Internal Medicine, Steve Biko Hospital, these include General Internal Medicine, Hypertension, Diabetes and Cardiology. She has run a private practice since 2001, as well as a consultant post at the Endocrine Clinic of Steve Biko Hospital.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules