Updated 07 July 2014

Visit your doctor: When to see a specialist

What if the ECG and blood tests are not normal? When should one see a specialist instead of your GP? Your GP will refer you, but here are the guidelines.

What if the ECG and/or blood tests are not normal?

  • Your blood tests or ECG is abnormal.
  • You have multiple risk factors or complications of hypertension. 
  • The specialist can help confirm possible “isolated systolic hypertension” and other less common conditions.
  • If urgent treatment is needed, as in severe hypertension or malignant hypertension, referral is indicated. This includes certain conditions in pregnancy, called preeclampsia and eclampsia. 
  • A specialist can help identify a possible underlying cause and assess the patient who is resistant to treatment. 
  • Specialists usually manage problems with anti-hypertensive drugs like intolerance or multiple contraindications.



Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Hypertension expert

Dr Jacomien de Villiers qualified as a specialist physician at the University of Pretoria in 1995. She worked at various clinics at the Department of Internal Medicine, Steve Biko Hospital, these include General Internal Medicine, Hypertension, Diabetes and Cardiology. She has run a private practice since 2001, as well as a consultant post at the Endocrine Clinic of Steve Biko Hospital.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules