The most important way to prevent any disease, including peptic ulcer disease (PUD), is to maintain a healthy lifestyle, which includes the following:
- Do regular exercise (at least three times a week).
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat three to six small but balanced meals every day. Include lots of fibre-rich foods like fruit, vegetables and legumes in your diet.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep.
- Decrease your consumption of anti-inflammatory medicines (e.g. ibuprofen, aspirin). It may be best to eliminate these medications completely if you’re at risk of PUD.
- Don’t smoke.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation, if at all.
How peptic ulcers are diagosed
What are peptic ulcers?
The causes of peptic ulcers
Reviewed by Dr Estelle Wilken, senior specialist in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at Tygerberg Hospital. December 2017.