Heartburn affects most women at some stage of pregnancy. It is commonly linked to eating, bending or lying down.
- Eat small, frequent meals.
- Eat slowly.
- Increase your intake of complex carbohydrate foods such as rice and potatoes.
- Avoid food that aggravate heartburn, such as rich, fatty or spicy food, chocolate, citrus fruit and coffee.
- Don’t drink large amounts of fluid with a meal.
- Stay upright for an hour after eating.
- Lie on your right side. It allows gravity to empty the stomach.
- Sleep propped up with pillow or elevate the head of your bed if possible.
- Wear clothes that aren’t too tight around the waist.
- Drink milk or eat yoghurt.
When simple measures are ineffective, consult your doctor, as antacids are likely to be beneficial.
(Ilse Pauw, Health24)