advertisement

Heart Health

30 May 2019

Teen dies after heart stops in bath

A British mom found her daughter collapsed in the bath after her heart reportedly stopped.

A British mom found her daughter collapsed in the bath after her heart reportedly stopped.

Amber Rummels (18) from Cardiff, UK, was discovered underwater in her bath while the taps were still running on 1 December last year, BBC reports.

The teen’s mom, Anita Lewis, pulled her out of the bath and performed CPR until the paramedics arrived, an inquest recently heard.

Medics were able to revive her, but Amber passed away in hospital four days later, The Sun reports.

A coroner recently revealed that the waitress, who was studying hospitality at Vale College, died from hypoxic brain injury and sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS) – the sudden unexpected death of adolescents and adults.

During the recent inquest, the devastated mom revealed she woke up in the night to find the home with no electricity.

“Water was coming through the light fitting in the hallway,” Anita revealed.

“I could then hear a dripping sound of water coming from the bathroom.”

The mom then grabbed a pen and managed to unlock the bathroom door.

“I looked into the bath and I saw the water was running from both taps. Amber was lying in the foetal position.

“I grabbed Amber out of the bath under her arms and I put her on the floor,” the mom said.

An electric facial exfoliator was discovered in the bath but the report found that it was unlikely that it caused an electric shock, the New York Post reports.

“She was a strong character,” said Amber’s father, Steven Rummels. “She was fun and caring, and we’ll all miss her dearly.”

Source: BBC, The Sun, New York Post