While there is no cure for heart failure, there are things you can do to manage it, below are some suggestions!1
- Activity - like all muscles, your heart muscle can benefit from exercise. Even just taking a short walk can help.
- Diet - a healthy diet is key to leading a healthy lifestyle.
- Salt - eating less salt is very important when you have heart failure as salt causes your body to retain water.
- Smoking - smoking is bad for your health, and if you have been diagnosed with heart failure it is even more important that you don’t smoke.
- Alcohol - people with heart failure should also limit alcohol consumption. Some people with heart failure should avoid alcoholic beverages altogether.
1. McMurray J, et al. ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure. European Heart Journal. 2012; 33,1787–1847.