Hearing management

Posted by: voice | 2005/11/24



I'm a 26 year old male and suffers from puberphonia. I have been seeing a speechtherapist for a while.

Although we are making 'some' progress it goes very slow as I have problems 'hearing' myself.

I'm not deaf and can hear clearly - but i cannot "hear" what she "hears". I'm not so in tune with sounds as she is. For example: to me my voice still sounds high-pitched, and to her it sounds better. And she even proves it by measuring it at 123mhz.

What can I do to solve the problem - helping with overcomming the puberphonia.

What is auditory masking and might that help?

Expert's Reply


Hearing Expert

Dear Voice

Treatment for true Puberphonia is normally simple, fast and very effective. It is possible that in your case there might be additional factors to consider. It is important to evaluate and diagnose the condition correctly. Treatment can involve quite a bit of counselling in the beginning and mental readiness from the patient's side is very important. Once the desired voice has been elicited, the patient needs to adjust to it and learn to use it.

I can't be sure if the problem that you are not hearing a difference is related to a hearing problem but it is always worth it to go and have that evaluated. It might also be your perception of your voice that is different to other's perception. Are your family and friends noticing an improvement?

Auditory masking can be used during diagnoses or therapy to assist in eliciting the desired voice.

Please feel free to write again if you need any further detail

Kind regards
Izabelle Pieterse

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: bob | 2006/08/06

treatment for puberphonia

Reply to bob
Posted by: bob | 2006/02/05

i want to know whether puberphonia is related with sex.
i feel it increases after having intercourse or masturbation.
can i make some home exercises to overcome this problem.

Reply to bob
Posted by: pankaj | 2005/12/10

hi i want to know how many days it takes to solve puberphonia.

Reply to pankaj
Posted by: Hearing care | 2005/12/05

Dear Sharath

I will try and help you find a speech therapist. Please e-mail me, you can find my address in previous replies. True Puberphonia is a very treatable condition and normally we have very good results with treatment.

Kind Regards
Izabelle Pieterse

Reply to Hearing care
Posted by: Sekhar | 2005/12/03

I speak in a high-pitched 'female' voice and it embarrasses me.

On the phone, I am often called 'madam' because I sound like one. I tend to avoid using the telephone. Contrary to my extroverted nature, I have become a shy and withdrawn youngster and all because I am ashamed of his voice. My voice is too low or almost unaudible to the people around me.

I could not speech therapist or Voice therapist through yellow pages or other sources. can you sugegst concenred persons in Hyderabad, whom I can contact and exlpain my problem?

Thanks & Regards

Reply to Sekhar

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.