Hearing management

Posted by: Solomon | 2019/01/15


Hearing loss

How do I claim for my hearing loss if my company is ducking and diving to apply for medical aid. I have lost 10% of my hearing and I'm using hearing aids of which I bought for myself. I want to know how can I claim and hold the company accountable.

Expert's Reply


Hearing Expert
- 2019/01/16

Dear Solomon,

There is a strict procedure that you would need to follow in terms of submitting a claim for your hearing loss to your company. If you work in an area where you are exposed to excessive noise, your company would need to provide you with hearing protection to wear while you are in these noise zones. 

When commencing employment at your company, you would have had a medical which includes a hearing screening. This would be your baseline audiogram. A hearing test should be done annually by your company if you work in a noise zone. If a hearing loss of 10% or more is found from one year to the next, you need to be sent to an audiologist for a full diagnostic assessment of your hearing. The audiologist will then determine if your hearing loss is solely due to noise exposure by taking several factors into consideration. There are times where you may be required to see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. This report is then sent to your company stating whether or not your case should be sent for workmen's compensation.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.