Hearing management

Posted by: Sasa | 2010/10/15



Dear doc
I am a 38yr old female. My parents discovered that I have hearing problem when I was 5yrs old. I used a hearing aid on my right hear. By the time I turned 30 my hearing has detoriated that I now hearing aid on both ears.
Now it is so bad to an extent that if I take them off. I cant even ear my baby crying next me (in the cot)
I haven''t seen a ENT for years now, only the acoustian.
Do you think that I will be eventually be completely deaf?

Expert's Reply


Hearing Expert

Hi Sasa

Out of your info given it is critical that you have a a full diagnostic hearing evaluation at an Audiologist. It is hard to say if your hearing will degenerate as it is dependent on the cause of the hearing loss. Once an an audiologist has seen you she will referral you if necessary to an ENT. Feel free to contact me on debbiep@widex.co.za if you are needing a referral. I feel it will be better for you to see an audiologist than an acoustician in this matter.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.