Hearing management

Posted by: Cal2u | 2007/06/22


Ear plug for music concerts as performer


I have been having problems with my ears for quite a while now. I am cautious with them at parties and dont get too close to speakers. Even though it ca be hard sometimes as I am a DJ and we are the closest to them. I have silicon earplugs i wear to parties but they tend to block to much of the sound out. I went to a specialist as i was having and still do have cramping in my ears at stages through the day. The specialist said my ears were perfect and i must just where my ear plugs. I do where them but i am looking for custom earplugs that are made for coping with music festivals of all genres. I got a pair 2 years ago but they cut out the wrong frequency and i lost the main sound in the music that i need as a dj to hear. the kick.
Where would i be able to get them and what is the average prive to pay.
Another thing, my ears seem like they are blocked sometimes but they arent. The specialist said there was nothing in them. I think it might be my eustation tubes. Nothing else is blocked though. I constantly have to equalize to make it go away and sometime to make it confortable. What can i use to clear the tubes. I have tried, nasal sprays and sinu-med but nothing works. It might be something else. What is your point of view on this please??

All the best and look forward to hearing from you. Awesome sight you have and will be using it in the future!!


Expert's Reply


Hearing Expert

Dear Cal2U

I am delighted to hear that you are using ear protection. In the environment that you are working it is a non-negotiable. I would recommend that you see an audiologist for a full hearing evaluation and that you have this done at least every year. An audiologist can evaluate the functioning of your middle ears and refer you back to the ENT if necessary. The audiologist would also be able to have custom ear protection made for you. There are a few products available on the market that work with a filter that let through sound of a certain intensity but not sound that could be harmful to your hearing. The prices on these products differ but most of them are very reasonbly priced. If your audiologist writes a letter to your medical aid explaining the reason why you need them, i think you might be able to do it through the medical aid.

If you don't know of an audiologist in your area, please write to me at and i will gladly refer you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and thank you for the compliments on the site. It is always appreciated to get some feedback from the public.

Kind regards
Izabelle Pieterse

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.