Hearing management

Posted by: Ruth | 2008/08/19



I took my 19 month old boy to the doctor, cause the teacher at school phoned me to say that he has a temp. of 38 and he is constantly touching his ear. The doctor had a look at his ear to find that his right ear was infected and that the ear drum had a hole in it. He said that it was perfectly normal as now the infection will drain, and asked if I did not see puss run out of his ear, I told him no. I then phone the teacher to ask her if she noticed anything, she said no. Well after giving him his anti biotics, my child is his old self, I phoned the teacher to check on him and to ensure he is getting his medicine, she said that her husband had the same problem when he was young, and that he battles with his hearing, do I need to be concerned? Should I go and see a specialist? Please can you advise.

Expert's Reply


Hearing Expert

Dear Ruth

It will always be my advice to play it safe with children's hearing. Please take him to see an Audiologist that can evaluate his hearing and middle ear functioning. If necessary, he/she will be able to refer you for further evaluation. If you don't know of someone that works in paediatrics in your area, please let me know and i will gladly refer you (izabelle@widex.co.za)

Please let me know if you need any further information

Kind regards
Izabelle Pieterse

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.