Hearing management

Posted by: joan | 2017/02/06


calcified eardrum

Calcified Eardrum Hi, my daughter suffer from chronic middle ear infection since birth and is now 17. She had 2x grommets inserted and 1x t-stands, her ear drum burst a couple of years ago, and she also had an outgrowth in her ear. Recently she was diagnosed with a calcified eardrum after suffering with vertigo. Is there something that can be done for her or does she have to suffer all her life, and, will she become deaf? Please Help!

Expert's Reply


Hearing Expert
- 2017/02/07

Hi Joan

Did you consult with an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist for the latest diagnosis? If not, then I would suggest that you do.  Calcification of the eardrum is quite common after having battled with ear infections, leading to multiple grommets and things for years.  It is possible for a calcified eardrum to affect one's hearing so I would suggest that your daughter have her hearing tested.  Nothing can be assumed about her hearing until this is done. A hearing test can also back up the need for a specialist (ENT) consultation.

I hope that you find the answers that you are looking for, best of luck to you and your daughter.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.