Hearing management

Posted by: Jennifer | 2009/01/30



Hello Doc,

My father, who is 76 YO, went for a hearing test and was told by the audiologist that his hearing loss in his left ear was not due to any normal aging processes, but due to nerve damage or a possible tumor on the auditory nerve. He now needs to see an ENT specialist, who specifically specialises in auditory nerve conditions.
Firstly, where do we find an ENT specailist, who specialises in auditory nerve conditions, in the Johannesburg area?
Secondly, will my father still be able to use a hearing aid to correct his loss of hearing?

Thank you.

Expert's Reply


Hearing Expert

Dear Jennifer

It is always heart-warming to see people being concerned about their parents well being. Please go and see the ENT specialist and also discuss your concerns with the Audiologist. Further treatment will depend on the condition and the degree of loss. Unfortunately i can't tell you what the options are, without having seen the test results. The Audiologist should refer you to an ENT and i can assure you that there are exceptional ENT's and Audiologists in Johannesburg.

If you have an further questions or need any referrals - please write to me at

Kind regards
Izabelle Pieterse

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.