Hearing management

Posted by: Curious D | 2017/08/30



Hello I am a 48 year old male, i have been experiencing tinnitus ( ringing in both ears) since 2002. I have been to 2 ENT specialists previously. Hearing tests and MRI's were done and nothing untoward was found. I was told to live with it. The noise level was not very disturbing. In July i had a sinus infection and was prescribed medication. I noticed the ringing became louder when I was ill. It has not decreased since then and i have read that certain antibiotics can cause this. I have started taking a supplement Gingko Baloaba which is recommended for tinnitus for about 2 weeks. There has been no change as yet. What would you advise? I am in Durban and perhaps you have a colleague you can recommend, Thank you

Expert's Reply


Hearing Expert
- 2017/09/02

Hallo. Yes there is help for you. Many of our hearing aids do have special programs for tinnitus. Go to an Audiologist. It is important that the test oto acoustic emissions are done in order to determine whether you have outer hair cell damage in the cochlea which will explain the cause of the tinnitus. So do ask if the audiologist do have this equipment when making an appointment. Look on the website of SAAA, it is www.audiologysa.co.za

In the meantime avoid silence. Good luck 

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.