Here are a few HIV/Aids myths debunked:
1. You can tell when someone is HIV+
FALSE An HIV+ person may have no symptoms at all and may feel perfectly well. The only way to know is to get tested.
2. Being diagnosed HIV+ means you will soon get sick and die
FALSE With the constant refinement of anti-retroviral (ARV) treatment, people are able to manage their viral load and live with HIV for many years. Read about one such person in HIV+ for 30 years.
3. If you’re both HIV+ you don’t need a condom
FALSE There are different strains of HIV and you can infect each other with them, as well as other sexually transmitted diseases.
4. You can’t have a baby if you’re HIV+
FALSE In a well-managed pregnancy and birth, an HIV+ mother can give birth to a baby who is HIV-.
5. HIV infection can be cured
FALSE Once you are infected, there is no known cure. But living a healthy lifestyle can keep you stronger for longer, until the doctor decides you need to begin ARV treatment.