It's winter and it's flu time. If you're lucky, you won't be affected this year. But in case the flu does hit you, make sure you know how to break the fever.
Adults who are running a fever can do the following:
- take paracetamol to reduce a fever of 40°C or higher;
- drink plenty of water or rooibos tea;
- for a temperature of above 40°C, bathe or sponge your skin with lukewarm (not cold) water , as evaporation will have a cooling effect;
- remain at home and rest;
- remove extra layers of clothing;
- consult a doctor if the fever persists or when the fever is accompanied by a stiff neck, confusion, lack of energy or difficulty waking.
Read more: Flu and children