Eye Health

Updated 15 March 2018

Six ways to reduce computer eye strain

Staring at your PC screen all day? Keep an eye out for these symptoms.

Computer eye strain has become a major office-related complaint. Symptoms can range from headaches, blurred vision, physical fatigue and decreased productivity, to minor annoyances like dry irritated eyes and eye twitching. Here are 6 easy steps you can take to reduce computer eye strain.

Lighting And Glare

  • Reduce bright light either from excessive sunlight or from harsh interior lighting.

  • Position your monitor so windows are to the side instead of in front or behind it.

  • Reduce interior lighting by using fewer light bulbs or fluorescent tubes, or use lower intensity bulbs and tubes.

Computer Screen And Display

  • LCD screens are easier on the eyes and usually have an anti-reflective surface.

  • Adjust the brightness of the display so it's approximately the same as the brightness of your surrounding workstation.


Blinking keeps the front surface of our eyes moist, reducing dryness and irritation. By working at a computer, people can blink up to five times less than normal.

Having an air conditioner in your office can increase tear evaporation, placing you at greater risk for dry eye problems.

  • Make an effort to blink frequently.

  • If you experience dry irritated eyes, consider using artificial tears during office hours.

This story originally appeared on - visit the site to read the full version.

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert


Megan Goodman qualified as an optometrist from the University of Johannesburg. She has recently completed a Masters degree in Clinical Epidemiology at Stellenbosch University. She has a keen interest in ocular pathology and evidence based medicine as well as contact lenses.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules