Common symptoms of cataracts include:
- Hazy vision / a decrease in visual acuity
- Double or blurred vision
- Difficulty performing normal activities due to vision problems
- Sensitivity to light and glare
- Impaired vision at night, often causing difficulty while driving
- Less vivid colour perception (colours look less bright)
- Need for frequent changes in eye-glass prescriptions
- Unexpected improvement in near vision
- A milky white, opaque or yellowish appearance to the normally transparent lens of the eye (advanced disease)
Reviewed by ophthalmologist Dr Viresh Dullabh, MBBCh (Wits) FC Ophth SA (CMSA) MMED (UKZN). September 2018.
What are cataracts?
Causes of cataracts