Run two fingers down the spine on either side of the vertibrae, so that two red lines appear. If you have scoliosis then it will be easier to see the curving of the spine in these red lines.
What can be done?
- Don’t always carry your cricket bag or school bag on one shoulder, regularly alternate carrying arms and shoulders
- Cricketers that regularly use one side of their body, especially the fielders and bowlers, should get into the habit of throwing or bowling for a while with their wrong arm at the end of a practice
- Keep supple and do back strengthening exercises
- See a sports injury specialist
- Sports massage will relax tight muscles
- Perform strengthening exercises
- Ultrasound therapy
Reviewed by Dr Pradeep Makan, orthopaedic surgeon, Melomed Gatesville and Life Vincent Pallotti Hospital in Cape Town and part-time lecturer in the department of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Cape Town, 2010.