Updated 28 February 2017

Gene ups diabetes risk

New research has confirmed earlier studies into the causes of diabetes that indicated that a version of a specific gene might increase the risk of getting diabetes.

Earlier studies into causes of diabetes indicated that a version of a specific gene might increase the risk of getting diabetes.

Now, a scientist at Saint Louis University confirms the finding that a common variation of the gene FABP2 causes people to metabolise food in a way that increases risk for type 2 (adult onset) diabetes. Edward Weiss, in a university news release, says that his research concluded that the gene, found in about half the US population, burned fat in the body in a way that hindered the ability to remove sugar from the blood stream.

Too much sugar in the blood is a major characteristic of diabetes.

While this finding is significant, Weiss says that having the gene variation doesn't mean a person is going to get diabetes. "Many other genes, some known and some unknown, are involved in a person's overall risk of developing diabetes," Weiss says in the news release. "Those are things a person can't control. But there are risk factors for diabetes that a person can change - lifestyle factors, such as diet and exercise." – (HealthDayNews)

Read more:
Diabetes Centre

January 2007


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Diabetes expert

Dr. May currently works as a fulltime endocrinologist and has been in private practice since 2004. He has a variety of interests, predominantly obesity and diabetes, but also sees patients with osteoporosis, thyroid disorders, men's health disorders, pituitary and adrenal disorders, polycystic ovaries, and disorders of growth. He is a leading member of several obesity and diabetes societies and runs a trial centre for new drugs.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules