Posted by: A | 2009/01/20


Type 2 diabetes regulation

I was put on Glucophage by my gynaecologist 6 years ago after being diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and after taking a blood test. I just want to know what kind of specialist I can see to discuss other options - an endocrinologist? I' ve picked up weight with the glucophage and despite eating strictly healthy and regularly exercising, I am unable to lose it.

Expert's Reply


Diabetes expert

There are several causes for weight gain, of which the most common is when the energy intake and energy utilisation are not balanced. But it is important to rule out other causes such as hormonal conditions that can cause weight gain, especially if there has not been changes in the lifestyle and a person then starts to gain weight. An endocrinologist may be able to assist you, but you can also start with your General Practitioner who can then refer you.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.