Posted by: Eding | 2012/10/19


Penis losing Girth

I am 60 years old and i have been a Diabetic for 34 years.My Penis has progressively lost girth especially over the last 10 years. Is there anything i can do to stop it or to improve it again. i have been on Insulin for the last 16 years. Thank you.

Expert's Reply


Diabetes expert

Dear Eding
The penis can naturally decrease in size as one ages as there is a slow buildup of scar tissue restricting blood flow, but in diabetes this can happen faster as there is damage that occurs to the small arteries in the penis, similar to what happens to the arteries in heart disease. There isn’t a way to reverse this, but one can try and slow progression with good glucose control, as well as good cholesterol and blood pressure control. Of note is that studies have shown that there isn’t a significant reduction in sexual pleasure.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Eding | 2012/11/02

Thanks so much for your input Doctor.

Reply to Eding

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.