Posted by: | 2019/11/24



I am going through a very stressful situation and was given Urbanol which initially helped but 2 weeks into the use of it I developed severe anger issues. I stopped it immediately and after 4 days the anger issues subsided. Is there anything else that I can take to assist?

Expert's Reply


Depression expert
- 2019/11/26

There are different ways of helping someone who is experiencing a stressful situation.  Depending on the nature of the situation causing the stress, I prefer using CBT style counselling, which helps you regain personal control over such situations and to find the best way of coping with them. It may or may not also be useful to include the careful use of a medication to reduce the immediate symptoms, and if it is expected that this may be needed for more than a couple of days, this is usually best done by using drugs also used to treat depression
It has been quite popular among GP's and other doctors to use a range of sedative-hypnotic drugs, usually from the Benzo family, like Urbanol, which I generally prefer to avoid. 
There is a real risk of becoming dependent on these drugs, especially when they're used for more than a couple of months.
They are similar to alcohol in a number of significant ways. They have a quick effect : within minutes of taking some, like a large whisky, one tends to feel a bit calmer, even woozy, and relaxed.   But, like alcohol, many people some of the time, and some people much of the time, can also have other reactions, including becoming irritable and easily angered, as you seem to have experienced. 
Urbanol seems useful in treating epilepsy, as are others of the Benzo family, but is over-used for treating general anxiety.
In the situation your describe, I'd review the issue : where the anxiety is clearly related to real-life problems, at work or in personal relationships, or relate to unpleasant events, it's usually best to seek counselling from a psychologist or trained counsellor, which can focus on how you can change the situation which is bothering you, and how to handle it better.  It this is more of a general Anxiety Disorder ( that is, with anxiety arising on its own, and not particularly related to external causes, then medication may be a good next step, preferably with one of the meds also used to treat depression, rather than other Benzo's.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.