Posted by: Annelien Beckley | 2020/04/02


Suffering from depression, anger and emotional issues

My daughter has a friend with anger, depression and emotional issues. He is 16 years old, awesoms child but he has a lot of moodswings. My biggest concern is his anger and sleeping patterns.He always have nightmares. He is not happy in his home. His mother left them, he is staying with his older brother and father. It really concerns me because he feels like one of my own children. Do you have any advice - he doesn't want to see a Psychologist. I had him with FAMSA for one session, but due to the lockdown we could not attend anymore. Is there something that he can drink, he is very reluctant to drink any medicine. I gave him rescue remedy drops but it did not work for him. Is there anything that he can take without a subscription. He is in Grade 12 next year, so this is an important year so that he can be prepared for next year. He also experiences bullying in his current school. The problem is that the other schools are reluctant to take him over due to the fact that he is in such a senior grade. He also struggles with a low selfesteem, he thinks he is stupid and not good enough. He is an awesome boy, he have such a beautiful heart. He feels to me like my own son, he also sees me as a mother.

Expert's Reply


Depression expert
- 2020/04/15

Hello Annelien,
This virus is complicating so many things !  I wonder what will happen in the schools : so far they might be able to complete this school year, but soon there will not be time to do so, and if this year's students need to repeat a year, next year, what happens to the students who'd be due to move up into that class  come next January ?
From your description, it sounds as though this boy may have psychological problems worthy of attention ( in addition to the normally problematic difficulties of adolescents. which often include mood swings as part of their usual repertoire, not necessarily pathological )  often more complex when the kid is intelligent and able, deliberately or even without planning to do so, able to use such situations to manipulate adults.
He needs to be objectively and expertly assessed by a psychologist experienced with adolescents,  and should not be encouraged to avoid what he needs by just stating that he doesn't want to see a psychologist.
Your concern is admirable in many ways but can also be unhelpful if he learns how to manipulate that situation.
Over-the-counter remedies are unlikely to be helpful ; a psychiatrist might consider using proper medicines, if a suitable and clear diagnosis has been made, but from your description it sounds likely that the main issues are psychological and would need the assistance of a skilled psychologist.  Its complex, tool, because the emergency regulations were not drawn up with the appropriate expertise but they do allow for someone to see a doctor ( or similar professional therapist ) for needed treatment.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.