Posted by: | 2018/11/15


Eating disorder

Good day Dr. My sister is 31 years old and I fear that she has a eating disorder. She does not eat at all and is losing weight at a rapid speed. When she does it would be a bite or two then she will go the bathroom and you can hear that she is making herself sick. She does not have a medical aid. What I want to find out is there a way that I can have her evaluated and maybe committed to a clinic or hospital? I have to mention that she will not go willingly. The worst part of this is that she is exposing her son to this and in turn he is starting to act out badly. Please advise.

Expert's Reply


Depression expert
- 2018/11/16

I have just answered your question where you posted it in the Cybershrink Forum.. This time you mention that she doe not have medical aid : any competent provincial hospital or clinic should be able to assist and to refer her to a specialist psychiatric facility which could care for her properly.
This situation could indeed have serious implications for her unfortunate son, and maybe this could be used to benefit both of them. You could perhaps approach Child Welfare to express concern that she is clearly suffering from a serious psychiatric disorder which leads her to neglect herself, an you are worried that this must also be leading to neglect of the best interests of the child. Child Welfare should be empowered to visit the home and interview her, to asses whether she is competent to care properly for her child and herself, and would have a duty to protect the child. This  could include approaching a court to declare that she is unfit currently to care for herself or her child, and needs formal assessment and treatment

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.