Cervical Cancer

26 October 2011

Boys should also get HPV shot

A US government panel is recommending that young boys also get the HPV shot, a vaccine now given to girls to prevent cervical cancer.


A US government panel is recommending that young boys also get the HPV shot. That's the vaccine now given to girls to prevent cervical cancer, which has become embroiled in the politics of the Republican presidential primary season.

Doctors argue that it could protect boys against genital warts and some kinds of cancers. But they also say vaccinating 11- and 12-year old boys could also help prevent the spread of the sexually transmitted virus to girls.

The HPV vaccine has been controversial since it was recommended for girls five years ago. And only about a third of adolescent girls have been fully vaccinated against the virus.

The Advisory Committee on Immunisation Practices made the recommendation on Tuesday. Federal health officials usually adopt what the panel says and asks doctors and patients to follow the recommendations.

Attempts to require the vaccine for American girls sparked debate and complaints that such mandates intrude on family decisions about sex education. In Texas, lawmakers fought off a 2007 order by Gov. Rick Perry requiring the shots for sixth-grade girls amid questions about vaccine's safety, efficacy and cost. Perry's Republican opponents have made the vaccine an issue in the primary. (AP, October 2011)

Read more:

Protect your daughter from cancer

What is HPV? 


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Cancer expert

CANSA’s purpose is to lead the fight against cancer in South Africa. Its mission is to be the preferred non-profit organisation that enables research, educates the public and provides support to all people affected by cancer. Questions are answered by CANSA’s Head of Health Professor Michael Herbst. For more information, visit

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules