Updated 13 April 2017

Preventing skin cancer

Worldwide, the highest incidence of skin cancer is found amongst the Europeans living in South Africa and Australia.

Worldwide, the highest incidence of skin cancer is found amongst the Europeans living in South Africa and Australia. Both these countries receive a very high level of Ultraviolet (UV) Radiation. Dr Carl Albrecht expressed concern at the fact that South Africans are not nearly as conscious of the dangers as the Australians are.

The cause of skin cancer is almost always overexposure to (UV) radiation form the sun or a sunbed. Many people forget that one can still get sunburnt through light cloud or through shallow water. A suntan is not a healthy thing – on the contrary.

It is easy to prevent skin cancer. Wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses and long-sleeved, loose and cool clothing should keep the sun off your skin. Babies and children are particularly vulnerable and should be kept out of the hot midday sun between 10 am and 4 pm. This also applies to adults. A high factor sunscreen must be applied on any exposed skin.

People with fair or red hair and pale skin should take particular care, and so should those with moles or freckles. If you have a family history of skin cancer, you should take special care.

The sun causes thickening of the skin, which leads to premature ageing and wrinkles. Exhaustion, skin irritation and sunstroke can also be caused by too much sun.

Read more:
Preventing skin cancer


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Cancer expert

CANSA’s purpose is to lead the fight against cancer in South Africa. Its mission is to be the preferred non-profit organisation that enables research, educates the public and provides support to all people affected by cancer. Questions are answered by CANSA’s Head of Health Professor Michael Herbst. For more information, visit

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules