President Bush had five small tumours removed from his large intestine Saturday during a routine colonoscopy, the Associated Press reported. None of the growths was more than a centimetre long and none "appeared worrisome," according to White House spokesman Scott Stanzel.
The US President, who had transferred power to Vice President Cheney earlier in the morning before undergoing the procedure, which requires anaesthesia, reclaimed his powers 9:21 a.m. eastern time, the wire service reported. The polyps have been sent to the National Naval centre in Bethesda, Md. for examination and results were expected within three days, the A.P. said.
Stanzel said the President took a bicycle ride at Camp David later in the day and had spoken with his wife, Laura, by phone in Midland, Tex., the wire service reported. "The president was in good humour and will resume his normal activities at Camp David," Stanzel said.
Bush, who is 61, last had a colorectal cancer check on June 29, 2002, in a procedure that began at 7:09 a.m and ended at 7:29 a.m.
Two polyps discovered during examinations in 1998 and 1999 make Bush a prime candidate for regular examinations. For the general population, a colonoscopy to screen for colorectal cancer is recommended every 10 years. But for people at higher risk or if a colonoscopy detects precancerous polyps, follow-up colonoscopies often are scheduled in three- to five-year intervals.
"Although no polyps were noted in the exam in 2002, age and history would suggest that there's a reasonable chance that polyps will be noted this time," Snow said Friday. "If so, they'll be removed and evaluated microscopically." – (HealthDayNews)
Smoking ups risk of colon polyps