Posted by: | 2017/11/13


How do you determine if you have stomach cancer?

I have a stomach cramp for the last three months

Expert's Reply


Cancer expert
- 2017/11/14

Dear Anonymous, it is advised that you visit your doctor for a definite diagnosis. Remember that early diagnosis results in early treatment and an improved outcome.

Stomach cancer, also called gastric cancer, is a cancer that starts in the stomach. It occurs when cells in the stomach change and start to grow quickly and in uncontrolled fashion. It can then form a tumour. A malignant tumour is also known as cancer.

Stomach cancer should not be confused with other cancers that can occur in the abdomen, like cancer of the colon (large intestine), liver, pancreas, or small intestine because these cancers may have different symptoms, different outlooks, and different treatments.

Stomach cancers tend to develop slowly over many years. Before a true cancer develops, pre-cancerous changes often occur in the inner lining (mucosa) of the stomach. These early changes rarely cause symptoms and often go undetected.

Signs and symptoms of stomach cancer may include:

  • Fatigue
  • Bloated feeling after eating
  • Feeling full after eating little
  • Heartburn
  • Indigestion and stomach discomfort
  • Nausea which may be mild
  • Loss of appetite
  • Sensation of food getting stuck in the throat with eating
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting, particularly vomiting up of solid food shortly after eating
  • Weight loss
  • Diarrhoea or constipation


In cases of more advanced cancer, a patient may present with:

  • Discomfort in the upper or middle part of the abdomen
  • Blood in the stool (which appears as black, tarry stools)
  • Vomiting or vomiting blood
  • Presence of blood in the stools
  • Black, tarry stools (due to presence of digested blood)
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Pain or bloating in the stomach after eating
  • Weakness or fatigue associated with mild anaemia (a deficiency in red blood cells)


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.