Posted by: Richard | 2018/08/15


High Hemoglobin count

Blood test show my hemoglobin count is 19,1 the dr told me just donate blood ,no more test nothing,i fell that i am not sure how going to effect me on the end please need some help,i am drink high blood presure and pill for diabetics

Expert's Reply


Cancer expert
- 2018/08/17

Dear Richard, your haemoglobin count is too high and it is important that you request your doctor to do further tests to find the cause of the high haemoglobin count. The cause must be found – it is not good enough to just go and donate blood.

You could possibly have Polycythaemia Vera. Polycythaemia is an increased number of red blood cells in the blood. In Polycythaemia, the levels of haemoglobin (Hb) is usually elevated (high).

If you have polycythaemia vera, your bone marrow makes too many red blood cells, which causes your blood to get too thick. That can make you more likely to have blood clots, a stroke, or a heart attack. Haemoglobin levels greater than 18.5 g/dL in men suggest Polycythaemia Vera. Production of red blood cells (erythropoiesis) occurs in the bone marrow and is regulated in a series of specific steps. Polycythaemia Vera can result from internal problems with the production of red blood cells. This is termed primary Polycythaemia. If Polycythaemia is caused due to another underlying medical problem, it is referred to as secondary Polycythaemia. Most cases of Polycythaemia are secondary and are caused by another medical condition. Primary Polycythaemias are relatively rare.

In rare cases, Polycythaemia Vera may eventually progress into a form of leukaemia (blood cancer) known as acute myeloid leukaemia (AML), a type of blood cancer that begins in the marrow of the bones (the soft centre where new blood cells grow).
You must remember that you have the right to request to be seen by another doctor if you are not happy with your current treatment (MCH).

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.