Updated 14 December 2016

South African universities get R37 million in funding to fight cancer

Three South African universities will receive a combined R37 million funding boost for cancer research.


Three universities will get R37 million for research towards fighting cancer, the Sunday Times reported.

The money, from the Medical Research Council, would be used to set up research units. The University of Cape Town (UCT) would focus on gynaecological cancers, including those of the cervix, uterus and ovaries.

The University of Witwatersrand would concentrate on cancers of the breast, colon and pancreas, and the University of KwaZulu-Natal on cancers of the oesophagus, gall bladder, and liver.

Head of African Cancer Institute and chairman of an advisory committee on cancer, Prof Vikash Sewram, said more cancers were being diagnosed because more people were being screened.

"But where the focus needs to be is priority cancers," he was quoted as saying.

He said the intention was to ensure accurate cancer surveillance, better and quicker diagnosis, and access to treatment.

Prof Lynette Denny - who would lead the UCT's research team - said cancer had been sidelined by other infectious diseases.

"As cancer has been neglected for so long, there is a great deal of catching up to do."

Read more:

Breast cancer: the latest research

Researchers find origin cells for cervical cancer

Physicists, medical researchers to team up on cancer


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Cancer expert

CANSA’s purpose is to lead the fight against cancer in South Africa. Its mission is to be the preferred non-profit organisation that enables research, educates the public and provides support to all people affected by cancer. Questions are answered by CANSA’s Head of Health Professor Michael Herbst. For more information, visit

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules