Back Pain

30 January 2015

This man was jailed for eating python meat

A Zimbabwean man, who says he has seen remarkable improvements in his back problems since he ate his first python, has been jailed for nine years.


A man has been jailed for nine years in Mutare, Zimbabwe, after he was found in possession of python meat, Newsday reported on Friday.

Archwell Maramba, 58, said he wanted to eat the meat "to cure my spine".

Pythons are protected reptiles in Zimbabwe. Killing or hunting them is a criminal offence.

His arrest, conviction and sentencing took six days.

"Since I ate my first python I have seen remarkable improvements [in my back problems]," he argued.

Maramba said he only ate pythons, and was introduced to them by artisanal diamond miners in Chiadzwa a few years back, Newsday quoted Maramba as saying.

He was arrested last Friday in Zimunya, south of Mutare on the road leading to the Chiadzwa diamond fields.

It was not immediately clear if Maramba's arrest was linked to the discovery of a python in Zimunya earlier this month.

Local press reported last week that the 3.4m-long reptile was killed by youths in Zimunya and its carcass burnt.

Maramba told a court in Mutare this week that some friends had brought the dead python to him.

In 2012, four villagers from the Mhondoro district were each given only a 30-day jail sentence, with the option of a fine, for killing and eating a python.

Also read:

Businessman eats, brews wine from tigers
Vegetarian crocodiles have better skins
Hippo kills Limpopo man


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Backache expert

Susan qualified as a Physiotherapist in 1990, and completed her master’s degree in Physiotherapy in 2013 at the University of Pretoria. She has a special interest in human biomechanics, as well as the interaction between domestic and work-related ergonomics.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules