Updated 18 January 2017

Arthritis and parenting

Having survived labour, you now have a little human to look after. Depending on how serious your arthritis is, it might impact on your new role as a parent only slightly, or it may cause major problems.


And as the infant grows, your role as a father or mother might become more difficult.

Breastfeeding is unlikely to present any problems, but some drugs can be passed into breast milk. Make sure you discuss any potential side-effects with your doctor.

Lifting and carrying an infant is very demanding. If you have arthritis in the back or limbs you may find it increasingly difficult as the infant grows.

Speak to an occupational therapist about gadgets that can ease the load, such as high changing tables or basins. But even the most high tech nursery won’t prevent you having to bend for a fallen tube of nappy rash lotion, or hold on to a squirming, soap-lathered baby.

If your arthritis gives you stiff joints in the morning, the routine of nappies and burping in the wee hours, you should ask your partner to help out.

Delegate the heavy lifting and carrying.

Invest in a baby backpack, which will reduce the strain of carrying a baby around.

Read more:

Can eating a healthy diet improve arthritis symptoms?

Omega-3s lower rheumatoid arthritis risk


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Arthritis expert

Professor Asgar Ali Kalla completed his MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) degree in 1975 at the University of Cape Town and his FRCP in 2003 in London. Professor Ali Kalla is the Isaac Albow Chair of Rheumatology at the University of Cape Town and also the Head of Division of Rheumatology at Groote Schuur Hospital. He has participated in a number of clinical trials for rheumatology and is active in community outreach. Prof Ali Kalla is an expert in Arthritis for Health24.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules