Posted by: Elna | 2017/08/12



Hi dr I would like you to give me your opinion on the lab result: Anti-inuclear - positive Titre 1:160 Pattern Homogenous Double strand DNA ab 3.9 ENA positisve I have permanent pain for years, especially thigh pain. A deep burning cold pain with electric shocks. Also extreme buttock pain. I always feel very cold. The hair on my thighs stopped growing about 2 years ago. I feel flu like without temperature. I have joint pains in hips, neck as well as lower back pain(4&5 bulging discs) and narrowing of C5-6. I know that the joint pain is degeneration, but I would like to know what treatment will be best without taking 2 Stipanes every day. I use Lyrica 75mg twice a day, anti malaria tablets, Cortisone 5mg a day. It helps a bit, but does not help for the other symptoms. I get quite ill when I am in the sun, so I avoid it. I also have very low bone density especially upper back. Nerve conduction test normal. I get very nauseous of Azapress, which I stopped using. I see a Rheumatologist but wait very long for an appointment. GP prescribed Methotrexate 7.5 mg twice a week. Do you think it is a good idea to take methotrexate instead of Azapress. What else can you suggest for the pain. What is the cause of the hair loss on my legs? I am 58 female. Thank you very much

Expert's Reply


Arthritis expert
- 2017/08/19

The auto-antibody tests you describe indicate probable lupus but the rest of your symptoms are not quite compatible. Methotrexate might help, but it is usually taken as a once-a-week dose. It is probably a better alternative to Azapres.

I think your pain is most likely related to Fibromyalgia rather than lupus. You need to follow a gentle exercise programme, especially swimming.
The pain in your hip and buttock area is most likely due to a trochanteric bursitis and will probably respond very well to local steroid injection.
You should have regular pre-arranged 3 monthly or so appointments with your rheumatologist to avoid long delays.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.