Posted by: Lyn | 2017/11/19


Hip replacement

I am female, aged 50. My GP has been treating me for bursitis but after xrays has now discovered hip deterioration and referred me to a specialist saying I need a hip replacement (my mom has osteoporosis and has had hip and knee replacements) However i only recently joined a medical aid and have a exclusion for my hip so have to sit the waiting period out which is several months away. What I can do for pain in the meantime and to increase mobility, stiffness etc I am taking arcoxia , 60 mg per day.

Expert's Reply


Arthritis expert
- 2017/12/12

Apologies for the delayed reply

The changes on xray do not rule out the possibility od the pain still being due to bursitis, especially if the injections helped.
Unfortunately you need to use pain killers if the pain is, indeed, due to the osteo arthritis in the hip.
You could speak to your GP about the different medications available.
Arcoxia is an anti-inflammatory and you need an analgesic

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.