Updated 08 January 2018

Problems with your anaesthesiologist?

If you feel aggrieved about the way that your anaesthesiologist has treated you or a member of your family, there are a number of things you can do.

Experience has shown that the most common reason for a discontented patient is because of a breakdown in communication between the patient and the doctor.

  • You first port of call should thus be to contact your anaesthesiologist and discuss your problem.
  • If this does not work out, you next step should be to write the Chairman of the Peer Review Committee, South African Society of Anaesthesiologists, PO Box 2504, Parklands, 2121. This committee will consider your complaint and ask the anaesthesiologist for a written explanation.
    They will then consider the merits of the matter and give a recommendation to you and the anaesthesiologist. If the Committee feels that the anaesthesiologist has committed a serious breach of the Ethical Rules, the Society may lodge a complaint against him/her with the Health Professions Council, or advise you to lodge such a complaint yourself.
  • If you are not satisfied with the way that the peer Review Committee has handled your problem you should write to the Ombudsman of the Medical and Dental Professional Board. This person is still to be appointed but it is anticipated that this will take place in 2003.
  • If everything else has failed your may lodge a written complaint with the Registrar, Health Professions Council of South Africa, PO Box 205, Pretoria 0001. Of course you are entitled to lodge such a complaint without having been through all the above steps if you are convinced that you have been badly treated.
  • If you fell that you have suffered damages that deserve compensation, you should approach your attorney.

Read more:
Who is in the team?


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.