Use the guidelines below to make bedrooms "allergy-safe" zones.
- Don't overfill your bedroom with furniture
- Choose light furniture with clean lines that can easily be cleaned and moved around
- Put books, CDs and toys in cupboards and keep cupboards and cupboard doors closed so that house mites do not settle inside
- Heaps of books, dried flowers, thick drapes and curtains all gather dust – limit the presence of these in a bedroom if you are unable to keep it spotlessly clean
- Tiles and loose mats are easier to keep clean than wall-to-wall carpets – choose short pile carpets or cotton mats that can be kept clean more easily than long pile carpets
Read more: 5 easy ways to get rid of dust mites