Certain people develop a life-threatening allergic reaction to certain foods (such as peanuts and shellfish), medications (such as penicillin) or insect stings. The anaphylactic response occurs rapidly and can begin within seconds or minutes. If you're in the company of someone who suffers from anaphylactic shock, it's important to act quickly.
Call an ambulance or get the person to hospital immediately; check to see if the person is wearing a Medic-Alert bracelet, or ask the person what he or she is allergic to; check whether the person is carrying any self-treatment to counter the effects of the allergic reaction; if the person is conscious, help him or her into a sitting position to make it easier to breathe; encourage slow and deep breathing; give an antihistamine pill, if it is available and the person can swallow; give mouth-to-mouth breathing or CPR if needed.
Visit our First Aid Centre for more info.