Posted by: | 2019/12/26


Something bit or stung my right leg, do I need to see a doctor?

3 days ago I woke up with what I thought was a mosquito bite it was a small red itchy bump. Now it has flattened and grew to a large red blotch about 2"x4" and a little hard when I touch it. I put some papaya on it and it took the itch away. I live in Hawaii and my doctor is on vacation until Jan 4th.. do I need to go to urgent care?

Expert's Reply


Allergy expert
- 2020/02/06

Mosquito bites can cause large localised lesions with redness and blistering. This is sometimes called Skeeter's Syndrome. Mosquito bites are generally not known to induce anaphylaxis, but can cause a great deal of localised itching. A strong antihistamine tablet and application of topical hydrocortisone  should solve the problem. Occasionally if you scratch and infect the mosquito bite, a secondary skin bacterial infection and cellulitis may develop and then you may need oral antibiotics.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.