Depression is common amongst acne sufferers. How do you know if you or someone you care about is suffering from depression and needing help?
Look out for the following signs:
- Persistent sad, anxious or “empty” mood.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex.
- Feelings of hopelessness and pessimism.
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, self reproach.
- Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping.
- Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain.
- Decreased energy, fatigue and feeling run down.
- Increase use of alcohol and drugs.
- Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts.
- Restlessness, irritability and/or hostility.
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions.
- Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders and chronic pain.
- Deterioration of social relationships.
Adolescents can also display the following symptoms:
- declining school performance
- extreme behaviour and mood change (persistent depression)
- being snappy and easily annoyed
- risk-taking behaviour
- drug or alcohol use
- social withdrawal (avoiding friends or retreating to the bedroom)
- a break in a key relationship
Could you be depressed?