Posted by: Matt | 2013/02/03


Who diagnoses ADD?

Who to see for a diagnosis? A neurologist or a psychiatrist? Thank you

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Matt,

It depends on the course of treatment you would like to follow should a positive diagnosis be made. Both the neurologist and the psychiatrist will likely treat primarily with medication. Should you wish to avoid the medication route a psychologist can also make the diagnosis and will treat primarily with behaviour modification.

All three will make a diagnosis using historical background and personal interviews.

Kind regards,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Matt | 2013/02/10

How would a psychologist assist someoene with ADD? If ADD requires medication how do they help?

Reply to Matt
Posted by: lyn | 2013/02/05

Hi Matt

i would suggest the pstychiatrist first as they will go through all the behavioural signs to determine if the neurologist is needed for further investigation of the condition.

thats how i did it


Reply to lyn

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.